Keeping your puffa or puffer jacket clean can be challenging. It requires special care to ensure the fabric and insulation remain intact when cleaning it.
Below are four steps to clean your puffa jacket:
1. Always check the label: The manufacturer will have tested the fabric and will tell you how to clean the item. Make sure you read the care label for specific care instructions. Some puffer jackets might be washed only or dry cleaned only.
2. Spot clean first: Use a soft brush with mild detergent and gently dab the stain if there are any marks. Do not scrub too hard to avoid damaging the fabric.
3. Does the care label says wash or dry clean?
- If the jacket can be machine washed: always use a gentle cycle with cold water and a mild detergent. Use bio-washing liquid if your jacket is white; otherwise, use a non-bio-washing liquid. Wash the jacket with another garment (the same colour) to have a bit of agitation in the washing machine, and it will clean better. We will also recommend you wash it inside out and close all zippers.
- If the jacket must be dry cleaned: take it to your local dry cleaners. They will know how to take care of it for you.
4. How to dry your puffer jacket? Check the care label to see if the puffer jacket can be tumble-dry.
- If it can be tumble dry, hang it on a wide hanger to dry first overnight. (it will save some electricity!) Then tumble-dry your puffer on a low setting. Add four clean tennis balls to the dryer with the jacket. It will help fluff up the insulation and keep it evenly distributed.
- If it cannot be tumble dry: hang it on a wide hanger until it gets its shape back.
If you prefer us to clean your puffa jacket, bring it to Farthings Dry Cleaners, and we will do that for you. Please come and see us. We are based at 143 Milton Road Cambridge or 1 Anstey Way, Trumpington or give us a call on 01223 755180 or 01223 625 310.